Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Defining Utopia

Utopia; a book that I have read, pondered, digested, analyzed, loved. The idealistic society; in the imagination of Sir Thomas More in 1516 as he poetically describes a fictional island somewhere, nowhere. Unrealistic then, unrealistic now, although impossible to achieve, can it be discovered, somehow, within a willing subject? Can I discover it within myself?

My Utopia, has a star shining day and night. Looking over me in my plight. My perfect place, my existence within the world, as it is, but not of the world.

Like More's Utopia, I dream of a place, a perfect place, a beautiful society. Where equality reigns, and poverty, pain, and misery are impossible. Society's evils, as we know them, do not exist. There are not wars, and jealousy is fiction. Where people live by the law of tolerance, and love. Where someone would be there to wipe a tear, before it landed upon the grass. Where an entire society stood to celebrate each other as opportunities and achievements were granted and earned. Where one did not feel as though another was competing for the beloved spot of a father's love.

Is my idyllic hope lost in our world today? Am I seeking for a paradise which on this earth does not exist?

My Utopia is in acceptance, of me with all my mistakes, of my need to be listened to. My desire to make a bit of difference in my community. My hope to help someone who desperately needs something just to make it through today; through the next meal.

My Utopia is in the smile between two people who are in love, and have fallen into love through times of trial, hardship, happiness, and endurance.

No comments:

on marriage

'Will you, um, marry me?' I haven't seen you in weeks! You don't look happy or excited about the prospect of our marriage! You're asking me to give up my - my freedom, my joie de vivre for an institution that fails as often as it succeeds? And why should I marry you anyway? I mean, why do you wanna marry me? Besides some bourgeois desire to fulfill an ideal that society embeds in us from an early age to promote a consumer capitalist agenda?
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile