Tuesday, January 27, 2009

a little nerdie

i really enjoyed our last scout meeting with my oldest son. i love the clapping, i love the cheers, i love seeing children acknowledged for accomplishments. but what i love most is knowing that there is a program worthwhile for my sons to participate in where grown men will share feelings and thoughts that i am quite certain i would not get into my sons head alone. Thank you leaders.

tonight the scoutmasters minute went as such.

I will write in first person, as he spoke it, but it is not verbatim.

"I was married a couple of years ago.
My father in law is a biologist.
I have always listened to him talk about biology things that are just a little nerdy.

Most recently he has shared with my wife and I about bird watching. Sound a little nerdy...probably because it is. You get your little book of birds, your old tape recorder of bird sounds, your binoculars and you watch...For birds. Thats it.

You look for their colors, their flight patters, listen for their songs. Yep, nerdy.

Well most recently I learned something about this. I went to a campground this past summer. We hiked, we played, we camped. It was awesome.

Later in the year we were assigned to do a bird watch at the very same campground. Yep, me, a bird watch. Sound a little nerdy. Yep. I got my book of birds, I got a tape recorder of bird sounds, and I got my binoculars and we went back to that same campground.

And do you know what. We looked for birds.

And do you know what. WE FOUND BIRDS.

Yep, and guess what else. I had a much better time than I ever had before.
I had something I was looking for and I found it. I have to say, in life.

If you know what you are looking for, you WILL FIND IT.

As is with the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has given us a little bit of instruction, and a way to find Him, and if you look for Him in life, you will find Him.

Whatever you look for in life, you will find."

Amen to that.

I don't mind being a little nerdie once in a while.
It looks good on me. And it feels good in me.

13 comments:

rachel said...

My son just started scouts and he loves it. I'm so excited for him and can't wait to learn right along with him. Sign me up for being a little nerdie as well :) Also, those pictures are just beautiful- I love those colors!

Cynthia said...

My boy is also new in scouts. It's so cute to send him off in his little shirt with his buddies. My husband didn't really grow up in 'the Church' as his family was inactive but he had a wonderful scout leader who made a HUGE difference in his life. Without that leader, he and I probably wouldn't be married today.

Jillene said...

My son loves Scouts. My hubby is the Cub Master so we are TOTALLY involved. Great story--I like to be a little nerdie sometimes too!!

Unknown said...

I don't have any boys but my husband was a scout master for years and then a young men's president. I always thought the scouting program was amazing.
This story is just one more affirmation to my belief.
Thanks for sharing.

Valerie said...

Love the pictures and the story. Hopefully when my grandson gets older he'll do scouts. I know I kept my daughter active and she saids she wants to do the same for her kids. Thanks for a great story.

That Girl said...

Love it. Love love LOVE it.

(I'm looking forward to scouting with my three boys!)

Devri said...

I can't wait 6 more years for scouts.. Sounds like you had a blast.. those photos were gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

what an uplifting post! thanks, those pix are beautiful!

Andrea said...

So true!

blogismycopilot said...

We were just talking on sunday how the leaders of the children and youth will never know the impact they have on a child, or what they might do or say that even a great parent would not have gotten through. What a wonderful post!

Joy For Your Journey said...

Okay, I have to say I did not love scout meetings, but I did love the program. (Yes, I know that was a terrible thing to say.) But that said, I loved what you wrote--your message and the pictures. I used to have baby birds on my front porch and I loved watching them grow and was sad when they flew away. I also noticed on your bio that you listed as one of your interests Australia. Have you been there? We went a couple years ago and it is one of my most favorite places on earth. I also love Moab. I went mountain biking there last year and think it is about the most fun thing I have ever done!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

being nerdie sounds good to me too! great post! ♥

The Royal Family said...

those are awesome photos!

on marriage

'Will you, um, marry me?' I haven't seen you in weeks! You don't look happy or excited about the prospect of our marriage! You're asking me to give up my - my freedom, my joie de vivre for an institution that fails as often as it succeeds? And why should I marry you anyway? I mean, why do you wanna marry me? Besides some bourgeois desire to fulfill an ideal that society embeds in us from an early age to promote a consumer capitalist agenda?
Stacie Adamson's Facebook profile